Ideas are worthless unless we act on them.”- Earl Nightengale
A side hustle is a business you own, but it’s not your primary source of income…yet. It gives you a sense of entrepreneurial independence without the inherent risk.
It’s easier than ever before to start a business. Technology gives us the accessibility to connect to an audience. Consumers and information are at our fingertips. So now’s your chance to start something new.
Everyone—and I mean everyone, should have a side hustle. Here’s why:
- You can help enrich the lives of others.
- You can become what you’ve always dreamt of doing.
- You can finally be your own boss and call all the shots.
- You can generate extra income for you and your family.
- And lastly, why not?
Make your dreams a reality and don’t let fear or your perceived limitations hold you back.
If I’ve convinced you of starting a side hustle, but are unsure what to do, ask yourself the following questions:
- What are you good at? Think about the times your friends or co-workers give you a compliment. This might help you identify your strengths.
- Do you actually like to do it? A talent that you don’t particularly like will make you weary over time. Focus on something that makes you smile.
- Are people willing to pay for it? Think about availability and scalability of the product or service you’re thinking of offering.
Don’t worry about those who share the same business idea. There are enough consumers going around. Focus on what makes you distinct. YOU are unique and YOU bring your own special twist to the market. Watch Marie Forleo, as she explains how to overcome the fear of not being good enough and seeing the value in what you do.
My budding side hustle is writing these blogs—albeit it’s a non-revenue generating one, so far. Out of my writing, I’m now the blog leader for the American Marketing Association- Toronto chapter. I’m also helping my friends and co-workers optimize their LinkedIn profiles. And I’m starting to share my marketing insights with friends who own businesses.
I don’t know what this will turn into. What I do know is I love to help people through idea generation and marketing insight to help them reach their entrepreneurial goals.
What’s your side hustle?